Skip to main content

An Accidental Domino


     Delicious food and creative metaphors, never fail to cheer me up. This common love might be the reason why I turn poetic when I see food. Our society looks like a giant fruit salad to me. It has diverse people with diverse behaviours. A fruit's taste, essence and value is known only when you cut through it. Just like that, a person can be called selfless or selfish, only when you get to know them. Amongst the selfless people, there are the ones who are born with a kind heart and the rest who have a change of heart at a later stage of life. I belong to the latter.
    
     Until my late adolescent years, I’ve always thought of kindness as a two-way street. I expressed my warmth only to the people who reciprocated it. I was not selfish but I was not selfless either. I have never gone out of my way to help a needy person or expected someone to do it for me. Just like a brook that changes its direction after hitting a rock, my perception of kindness took a different course after an accident.
    
     As I was coming back from college on my bike on a rainy evening, I did not notice the sludge on the road. My bike tyres skidded over it and I fell on the road. I did not even know what had happened for a few seconds. My classmate saw this and rushed to lift me and pulled my fallen bike off the road. He gave me water and helped me sit on the pavement. I had severely grazed my knees, hands and face. As it was dark, I was not able to see my injuries clearly. He gave his handkerchief and asked me to tie it around my knee.
After the rain stopped, he made a couple of calls and his friends came to take my damaged bike to the college hostel. He narrated the incident to my mother on the phone and assured her that he would drop me home safely. The next day, he brought home my damaged bike along with another classmate and wished me a speedy recovery. I was touched by his kind and selfless action. Despite studying in the same class, I had never talked to him or his friends before the unfortunate incident. He could have easily walked away or let a passer-by call an ambulance. But he chose to take an extra step and made sure I was safe.
    
     When I returned to college after a week, a lot of teachers and students that I rarely talked to, asked about my health and wished me well. Even though it was out of courtesy, it warmed my heart.
    
     Suddenly, I was filled with a sense of gratitude and realised the real meaning of kindness. It was no longer just about reciprocation. I understood that real satisfaction comes from being kind without expecting anything in return. From that day, I started noticing my surroundings more intently. I noticed significant changes in my behaviour. I genuinely complimented the people around me, offered to teach my classmates to get better grades and greeted everyone with a broad smile. I noticed how such simple acts brightened a person’s day. Even though I expected nothing in return, my social circle is wider now. There are people who genuinely care about me and vice versa.
    
     The society we live in is a huge row of dominoes queued one behind the other. When one domino falls, the adjacent domino falls, causing the next to fall and so on. When one person is kind, it rubs off on the next person and to the next person and so on. It is a chain reaction that I have personally experienced. The accident was the domino that fell on me and the kindness that I imparted to the people around me was the next domino and it passes on to the next.
    
     Kindness is the cherry topping on a beautiful cake called society and it becomes more delicious when it’s shared with others.

Comments

  1. A good story with a very great message. I personally liked the way the word "reciprocate" is been used.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like a scoop of ice cream topped on the falooda, I love the way you presented "Kindness".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well written! The 'brook hitting the rock' part....fate ensures that happens to everyone at some point of time. Loved the philosophy in it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Anonymous Exchange

          Yogi rubbed his hands in delight as he placed the parcel on his lap. The wrapper was nothing fancy, just the regular brown paper with a red bow tied in the middle. He untied the ribbon and tore the wrapper in a fit of excitement. This was his first experience with the book exchange program. People from around the country send one of their favourite books to someone and in return, they’ll receive one anonymously. Last night, he dreamt that he had received a copy of Gillian Flynn’s new book from the writer herself. He grinned as he looked at the hard-bound book. Out of habit, he opened the middle page and sniffed it. It lacked the musty smell as it looked brand new. “Anonymous” was the book’s title and holding true to its name, it neither had the writer’s nor the publisher’s name. He opened the first page to see if there was a special handwritten note from his sender. But there was none. He sighed in disappointment thinking why he had enrolled in the stupid book exchange pr

Night of Madness

27 th March, 8.00 PM Home is where the heart is. It’s the only place where I can be myself. After a stressful day at work, I hopped onto my bed and stared at the ceiling for some time. Living alone has its perks. There’s no one to nag me when I come back home exhausted. I filled my bathtub with warm water and lit scented candles beside it. After grabbing my bath brush, I jumped into the bathtub. The aroma, bubbles and the warm water soothed my mind. I hummed an old tune and started singing the song. Once the song ended, I thanked my imaginary audience. ‘Wow! I didn’t know you were a singer’, a voice boomed behind me. My heart froze. - 28 th March, 7.00 AM My alarm rang and I woke up with a throbbing headache. I ran my fingers through my hair. There was a huge bump at the back of my head. Then, I noticed bruise marks on my face and wrists. My left eye was swollen. I wanted to shout on top of my lungs but all I managed was a hiccup. Tears welled up in my eyes. I tr

The Gamble

 I clutched on to the wooden coffee table. It left wet blotches from my sweaty palms. I took a deep breath. So, this was the poignant moment. The moment that would decide my fate. I gathered my courage and looked him in the eye. He sat across the table, grinning at me. His yellow teeth disgusted me. ‘So, are you ready?’ he asked, laying back on his shiny leather chair. The yellow light bulb cast an eerie shadow on the wall. It looked larger and meaner than him. My throat closed. So, I nodded. He took a pair of dice in his hands. As he rolled them between his palms, I bit the inside of my right cheek. I tasted blood and it calmed me. I closed my eyes and heard the rattling of the dice against the golden ring on his index finger. He took his time, teasing and toying with my desperation. ‘Take it,’ he gave the dice to me. My hands shivered. I took a deep breath and dropped the dice on the coffee table. I saw them rolling on the wooden surface. The few seconds seemed an eternity.